Saturday, September 10, 2016

When The Dodgers Roster Comes From Wrigley, It's Jenga!

Aloha, everybody,

Yup, it's been a while. I hope you don't think I've deserted you all and the blogosphere; that won't happen. I've just been on other adventures, but I'm happy to say one nice development has brought me back here to ATBATT. 

About a month ago, Tony from Wrigley Roster Jenga put out a call for anyone who might have Target 100th Anniversary Dodgers. As luck would have it, I had just come upon some, and I was able to help him chip a bit off of his wishlist. 

I didn't think of sending those Target Dodgers to Tony as a trade, it was just one collector helping out another. But Tony being Tony, went ahead and stuffed a fistful of cards into a return package for me. 

That was FANTASTIC! As you all know, any new additions to my collection are heartily welcomed. Which bring us to the cards that my friend Tony sent to me. 

Let's begin with Topps Bunt and the man who surprised quite a few Dodgers fans by his return from the disabled list...



One reason Kershaw returned to the big club so soon is the minor leagues have completed their seasons, and there really isn't anyplace else for him to make rehab starts. 

This also explains the return of Andre Ethier to the club. 

Who else was in those Bunt cards? 




The upcoming ROY! With a RC shield. Nice!

One more...



You want more, you say? How about more of the same guys-this time on a different product...



I love that above shot of the professional hitter, focused, and in his element. 



Colorized Jackie! 

Tony knows I like the ol' Brooklyn club, so he tossed in my first Bill Bergen card. 


Maybe there's a reason I don't have many Bergen cards? This is from his Wikipedia page: 
No one played in the major leagues as long as Bill Bergen and hit so poorly. In 1909, Bergen set a record for futility with a span of 46 consecutive at-bats without a base hit. 

No surprise he was a Dodger for eight years. In Bergen's defense, he was a very good backstop during the Deadball Era. He's ranked among the all-time top catchers in more than a few books and publications. 

Come to think of it, maybe I should get my hands on more Bergen cardboard. 

Tony took me from a hero of the Deadball Era to one of tomorrow's standouts...



Another first for me, my first Willie Calhoun card. Calhoun is a fourth-round draft pick who is making lots of noise in the AA leagues. Dodgers fans are eagerly looking forward to Calhoun's development. 

Here's someone who just finished taking some "development" time in the minors...




Just as it is on the field, it is for my collection: more Puig is good. 

Long before Puig was throwing guys out from the deepest corners of RF in Chavez Ravine, and hammering monster home runs, this guy was doing the same...


I loved Fleer's inserts back in the 90's, and I still do. Speaking of  Dodger Stadium and Fleer in the 90's, here a couple more of Mondesi's teammates...



Because I gots to have lotsa Piazza...



A San Antonio Missions Piazza card...Wow!



The next one's not so much of a wow, as it is a hmmm...


Here we go, more young Dodgers blood...



And we'll close out with more Dodgers history...


From that 1990 Swell set, I now have King, Newk, Koufax and Drysdale. I just need five more to complete that checklist. Tony has just given my collection a new goal. 

What a great package that was, Tony. THANKS very much for the cool cards. 

Aloha! 



2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards! Those Swell cards sure live up to their brand name - they've long been a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, another cheap and semi-easy way to collect Hall of Famers.

      Delete