Sunday, March 10, 2013

ATBATT All-Time All-Stars Third Base

Hey everybody,

This post rounds out the infield for ATBATT's All-Star team.  Thanks to those of you who have followed this series.  It's been fun choosing the players and of course, it's a different way for me to show off some of my cards.

Here's an update of the previous position players I chose:

1. Catcher: Johnny Bench

2. First Base: Lou Gerhrig

3. Second Base: Jackie Robinson

4. Shortstop: Ozzie Smith

...and now..Third Base...


From a team full of legendary players, comes the Human Vacuum known as Brooks Robinson.  This was another tough decision to make, since I'm a Mike Schmidt fan.  Lots of times I'll take the side of the argument that Schmidt was the best third baseman ever, but in making this choice, I again went with the infielder who has superior defensive abilities over a big bat.  Heck, there's enough bombers on my all-stars that home runs should not be a worry.


 While Schmidt hit almost twice as many homers as Robinson, I give the responsibility of patrolling the hot corner to Brooks.  He holds the record for most games played by a third basemen (2,870), and he won 16 CONSECUTIVE Gold Gloves, finishing with the highest fielding percentage of all-time .971.


Robinson was no slouch with the bat, with 268 homers and 1,367 RBI's to his name.

Brooks also knows how to come up big in the postseason.  He played his position like few ever have in the 1970 World Series.  Orioles fans probably still talk about it in Baltimore's oldest bars.

Welcome to ATBATT's All-Stars, Brooksie.

THANKS for reading, everybody.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a nice choice here. Robinson is probably my all-time favorite 3rd baseman.

    That '67 Topps card is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. That '67 is definitely one of my favorites.

      Delete