Sunday, December 16, 2012

B.P. Heroes Rookie Cards (Not) Part 2

Hey everybody,

Happy Sunday!  I'm jazzed this morning because I watched the Rolling Stones' concert last night, broadcast live from N.J.  The highlights for me were ex-Stones guitarist, Mick Taylor joining in for a scorching version of 'Midnight Rambler', and a super-impressive Lady Gaga joining Mick on 'Gimme Shelter'.  I'm not a lady Gaga fan - I can't even name one song of hers - but dang, she turned it up to 11 on that number.  Bravo, Gaga.

On to baseball cards and Part 2.  When I first started posting this edition of B.P.Heroes, I named it with my heart, rather than reality.  As the post has continued on, I have come to realize I have far fewer true RC's than I originally thought. 

This blogging about our hobby certainly allows us to view our collections deeper in depth, and to get a clearer perspective of what we really have.  So, I'm altering the name of the post to Rookie Cards (Not).  LoL.  Bear with me, and let's have some fun anyways.

 First up is the Kid's second year fleer card...

I'm a big fan of cards with batting cages and stadiums in the background. 

Sure, baseball action shots are great on cards, but another huge part of the game is that pre-game prep period.  The players are warming up on the field and getting into a game mindset, but there is also a laid back, aint it grand to get paid for playing a game, kind of feeling as well.  Some guys are stretching alone, others are running side by side sprints, and others are joking while waiting for a turn in the cage.  That easy lull before the contest is a type of feeling that only baseball seems to capture.


I mentioned in Part 1 that I prefer a second-year card where the player is alone, over one of those multi-player mug shot cards.  (Scott Sawyer agrees with me on this one.  Thanks for the comment, Scott.)  I suppose those multi-player cards are great for the purists and the investors, but I collect based on the visuals of the card.  I love Molitor's scuffed helmet and easy smile in this second-year issue.


Because he is who he is, Molitor also gets his third-year card in this binder page...




 THANKS for reading, everybody!

Next Post: B.P. Heroes (Not)  Part 3



6 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E that '90 Fleer card of Junior. If his classic '89 Topps Traded card didn't exist, this would be my favorite Griffey card by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny you say that, because it's also one of my top favorites of his.

      Delete
  2. Molitor looks like a kid in that second year card. That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's another reason i like these early years cards. these guys look so young and they have their careers ahead of them.

      Delete
  3. Ya know, even though the Twins geek in me KNOWS Molitor enjoyed the latter part of his career in Minnesota and is still in the Twins organization, I'll always think of him as a Brewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeh, i've got several Dodgers who i think about in the same way.

      Delete