Saturday, December 15, 2012

Binder Page Heroes Rookie Cards (Mostly)

Hello everybody,

It's certainly not a secret who my favorite team is.  For a not-too-subtle hint, check the header again.  Although I'm a Dodger fan first and foremost, being a fan of the game of baseball runs a close second. So that means my love of baseball makes me a collector of cardboard from across the board.  Well, the Great Ones anyway, from any and all teams.

When I first dove into baseball cards as a serious hobby, I had additional notions that I would build a great collection and even make a buck or two along the way.  How to do that?  By acquiring Rookie cards, son. 

Actually, the real 'investment' is not in buying RC's from Mantle or Campanella.   Nope, the real trick is to guess which prospect playing out in the sticks (or the desert wastelands) will strike lightning and actually become a hit in the major leagues.   That was the trick back in the 90's and it's no different today (see Brian Harper).   Then, you're supposed to sell off those cards when the former prospect wins ROY, and buy a boat for the weekends with your baseball card reaping.  HA!

That game's not for me, but the lesson I did take from that slice of card collecting culture is that Rookie cards from the great ones, hall of famers and the legends of the field are still pretty cool to have.  So Rookie cards are part of my collection.  Sometimes the players RC is too darn expensive, or elusive, so I make do with a second or even a third-year card, until I can get the real mccoy. 

Of course, it's impossible to complete this chase, with so many high-caliber historical players, so I only collect personal favorites.  Those whom I believe made or changed the game into what it is today, or somehow shaped my baseball experience as a fan.

Here's the first installment of Binder Page Heroes, Rookie Cards...




Speaking of third-year cards, here's an example now.  .  I haven't even seen a Rookie or second year card of his, so I've had to settle for this one.   That said,  his RC is one of those shared cards, where he's one of 4 players pictured on the front.  That's not so aesthetically interesting to me, so I'm pretty happy to have this groovy third year issue, showing Hunter in the glory of his youth, with his signature proudly sporting the nickname 'Catfish', that he will eventually make into baseball royalty.


I don't have his topps RC yet, but below is the fleer version for the Dodger's skipper...



Speaking of Fleer RC's for Dodgers that started with other teams....one of the greatest Dodgers ever (that's right, i said 'ever')...



Next post: Part 2

THANKS for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather have the first solo card of a player than the shared rookie card. I have Phil Niekro's first solo card but don't plan on buying his first 2 Topps cards at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup - i totally agree. i don't have a neikro RC yet. now you got me thinking...

      Delete